Are you ready to kick things into Overdrive? Good, because the Awesomenauts: Overdrive expansion is here! - Official Steam Store description
Awesomenauts: Overdrive is the seconded expansion for Awesomenauts, announced in December 21st 2015 and released March 2nd 2016. It is independent of the Starstorm expansion so it can be purchased separately.
This expansion contains four new Awesomenauts: Professor Milton Yoolip, Chucho Krokk, Jimmy And The Lux5000, and Max Focus. New features related to the expansion but free for all players are new matchmaking, the Experience and Leveling system, and a visual update to existing content.
- As a scientist professor Milton Yoolip loves to create wondrous inventions and contraptions like the dog aura reader, nightmare-to-VHS recorder, the random number phone, cereal-to-milk-ratio calculator and an actual time machine. One day after combining the time machine into some comfy slippers, he teleported to the Mesozoic era and got stuck with the dinosaurs after losing one of his teleportation slippers. He spent years to craft a new slipper to travel forward in time to return to his beloved granddaughter Ayla. He joined the Awesomenauts team to finally spend some quality time with her and eat some over-engineered pancakes.
- Yoolip swings a wrench, which he uses to fix friendly droids and summons and give enemies a good what for! Get separated from your team and he'll lock you down with Gripping Gaze. Yoolip can also build Robo Dinos to chomp and chew their way down the lane.
- Added in Patch 3.0
- Chucho comes from a rich, if slightly shady family called the Krokk. Let’s face facts here: they may have achieved fame and fortune on Calias by hunting down the biggest criminals in the galaxy, but they’re just as bad themselves. But hey, it takes a crook to catch a crook, so Chucho has taken up the family mantle of being a BAD-ASS BOUNTY HUNTER. Which wouldn’t be so awkward if he didn’t have the world’s largest lisp. Oh well. No time for that, because the self-styled “Time Krokk” is on the hunt for an Awesomenaut who has been illegally travelling through time. In his inventory rests a suspicious, smelly time traveling slipper that might lead him to an altogether deadly confrontation with his unsuspecting bounty...
- Chucho comes equipped with a full set of bad-ass bounty hunter gear: he rides around on his flying Hyper Bike, and has Nitro Boost to catch up with fleeing criminals. If the hunt ends up in tight quarters, Chucho can dismount the bike and turn it into a turret. On foot, he wields deadly dual pistols and a Sticky Bomb.
- Added in Patch 3.0
- Jimmy, Amy and the Lux-5000 Toddletron are a mighty team. They have won numerous fights in robobrawls held in the many arenas and slums of Circuit City on Calias. The twins love to crush enemies and cause mayhem with the Toddletron's metal wrecking balls, which are basically two big rattles from their perspective. After each won fight Jimmy and Amy share a bottle of the finest Bovinian milk and watch cartoons before nap-time. Being big fans of the Awesomenauts they skipped the seasonal diaper league tournament and joined the team for some grown up fights.
- In a special 3-hit combo, LUX smashes ground twice, then whacks his rattles together to hurt everyone in an area around him. He rushes recklessly into groups of enemies and knocks them back, while putting down his shield to protect himself from danger. He can then unleash a Missile Barrage to finish his foes off. Unlike most characters, LUX never has a true mirror-match - Jimmy pilots the LUX5000 on red team, while Amy pilots it on team blue.
- Added in Patch 3.0
- Originally a security camera who was accidentally turned sentient by Professor M. Yoolip, Max quickly found a job with the Channel 7 Galactic News when that professor somehow slipped out of time. For years, Max happily caught the juiciest news from the most compromising angles. When the war between the Ones and Zeroes broke out, Max developed a real taste for war reporting. Craving even bigger explosions and spectacle, Max decided it was time to start making the news himself and joined the Awesomenauts.
- Max is defined by his unique movement system - he is a true flyer. Unlike every other flyer in the game, Max cannot ever disable his flight, meaning he moves in all directions at a constant speed. His basic attack overloads his camera, spraying radioactive light in short area in front of him. He can light up the scene with a barrage of deadly bullets, and slow time to catch the perfect angles.
- Added in Patch 3.4, Prime Time
Create-a-'Naut Contest 2 Winner
- Ix was a courageous Luxuxi spirit who peacefully roamed the crystal moon of Luxor, until a disaster struck. Intergalactic megacorporations started to drill Luxor on a massive scale, as it housed unusually energetic crystals. At first Ix tried to ‘discourage’ the miners in various ways, which had no effect. In an outrage Ix merged its life force with some high-energy crystals; giving Ix a corporeal form. Harnessing the energies of this new crystalline body, Ix razed the facility to the ground. Blabl Zork got wind of this raw talent for drill destruction. He then convinced Ix to join the Awesomenauts by presenting the mercenary team as an environmental force for good.
- Ix is a unique, mobile support/initiator. His powerful auto attack fires a medium range bolt and three smaller crystals with low range. He can Refract at any time to become immune to all damage briefly. However, his most interesting ability is his Psionic Bond, which allows him to link up to an Awesomenaut (friend or foe), then switch places with them!
- Added in Patch 3.2, The Green Guardian
- Added in Patch 2.13, Super Symbiosis, the XP system is the first part of the Overdrive enhancements.
- Awesomenaut teams will now level up during games based on the experience they accumulated. Each level will increase their damage by 3% and health by 4%. The new system should make damage and health upgrades less dominant in games, improve the flow of games by smoothing out the damage/health curve during a match, reduce the length of long games and overall make it more fun to play!
- In order to improve the overall experience, we've completely rebuilt the matchmaking system from the ground up. The game will no longer require you to maintain a non-stop connection to the Steam servers, which will ensure you don't disconnect from a match if the Steam servers go down for a second or two. Matchmaking is entirely handled by our own tech, and we've fundamentally changed the matchmaking flow. Players will now be matched all at once every few minutes, rather than be assigned to the best possible match that already exists.
- For further details, see Patch 3.3 Rise of Galactron.
- During the Overdrive, a lot of visuals will be overhauled. UI, character art, special effects and many other aspects of the game will receive an extra large dose of some good old tender love and care. Perhaps the best example of this ongoing visual evolution is Sheriff Lonestar's brand new attire!